We all desire to have a Boston butt for dinner because it is filled with pure meat. As a result, you’ll be able to be full in just a few minutes of eating.
Also, you have more freedom to flavoring it. This is because you can stuff more things inside it which will also enhance your creativity.
There are various ways on how you can use it for your cuisines. You can either use it as pulled pork or for barbecues and many more.
Cooking it is just easy, there are many ways to cook it. You can cook it on a good pellet grill or an oven. You just need to familiarize the most basic way of cooking it. It is slightly different from the common pork because it is denser in terms of weight.
So in this article, we will tackle the topic of how to cook a Boston butt in the oven. We will not delay the excitement anymore by starting with the topic properly.
- Let the surface of the meat soften especially if it just came from the freezer.
- Take the pork away from the packaging. You can use paper towels to pat the surface of the meat to quicken up the process.
- Turn the oven on and set the temperature to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. It is the safest temperature to start with. Not too hot or too cold.
- Use a roasting pan much preferably with sides.
- It is now the time to put the meat while the fat cap facing upwards. This must be placed in the mid part of the oven.
- Put some liquid of your choice. But it is much advisable if you will use wine because it enhances the taste of the meat. Just be sure that you only pour a little amount on the pan. You do not want to spill the interior of the oven which can damage it.
- Allow it to cook for approximately 40 to 45 minutes for every pound at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To know if the meat is already cooked, it must have a tender texture.
- You must also check from time to time if the liquid underneath is still present. Since you are cooking the meat for extended periods, it might evaporate.
- If so, you can consider adding a half-inch of that said liquid.
- It would be great if you have a kitchen thermometer so that you can measure the temperature inside the oven. The most preferable temperature is rated at 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow rest roasting for about 20 minutes so that the meat will be able to absorb the juices.
Those are the basic steps in creating a perfect Boston butt recipe in the oven. It will give you decent tasting meat afterward. However, it will be nicer if you will try to learn more things for future use.
Making a Perfect Pulled Pork Recipe Using A Boston Butt
This is where your creativity will come into play. For example, you want to create the perfect pulled pork recipe using a Boston butt then you can use the following steps:
- Set the temperature of the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Align a roasting tin including foil sheets that are sufficient enough in terms of size. You must be able to fold it still over the meat.
- Pat the meat so that the surface will be dry before you start cooking it. This will also make the meat absorb the heat in a much better way.
- Put the sugar, paprika, and salt on the topmost surface of the meat then spread through rubbing.
- It is now the time to place the meat in the oven that is already prepared by that time.
- You must cook the meat for approximately 40 minutes. By that time, it will be fully-browned.
- Take the meat out.
- Set the heat to a lowered temperature of 125 degrees Celsius.
- Put the liquid and smoke if necessary.
- Fold the foil at the uppermost portion to seal it.
- Bring back the meat to the oven and heat it again for another 6 to 7 hours.
- The inner heat must be at 89 degrees Celsius. You must be able to spoon it out afterward. That is the texture that you would want to reach.
- Put the juices and let it sit for a while.
- After a few minutes, set the heat again to 220 degrees Celsius then place the meat there without putting the cover on.
- It will just take approximately about 10 minutes for the texture of the meat to be somehow crispy.
- It is now time to remove the meat w/ a foil then set it aside for at least half an hour.
- By utilizing 2 forks or fingers you might as well want to pull into the shreds.
- Slicing the cracklings too is the way to go.
- Afterward, it is now the time to put the remaining seasonings and the meat juices that are collected from the pan.
- If you are not in a rush, you can marinate it there for more flavor for the whole day.
- Just remember to reheat first before consuming.
Now you have the idea of how to cook a Boston butt in the oven. You may now practice it until you mastered the skill. It will allow you to create tastier dishes in the future using the most desirable part of the pork, the Boston butt.
Just be sure that you apply the basics to ensure that you’ll get the most appropriate texture of the meat. This is the best thing that you can do to get the most out of each recipe.